Getting an executive office desk is a sign that your business is moving up in the world, and that you’re able to get – for yourself and possibly for your best employees as well – better furniture that stands out and makes your workplace look and feel more professional.
Executive desks look much better in your office than a regular desk, and they are also far more practical. Not only do they feature a greater array of handy storage compartments, drawers and shelves, but they are also larger, while making it easier to access everything you need.
Should You Build Your Own Customized Executive Desk?
The question of whether you should build a customized desk or get a regular executive desk that has all the features you want can go either way. On the one hand, customization will help you get the perfect desk. On the other hand, it might be much less time-consuming (or expensive, if building would require hiring a professional) to just look for a desk that has all the features you need and buy it.
Purchasing a used executive desk can usually be used as a secondary solution that will give you a more profitable alternative. Instead of buying a brand new desk or investing time and energy into building a fully customized one, your best choice might simply be to find an affordable second hand desk that fits all your needs.
A Few Practical Tips for Choosing the Right Desk
Selecting the perfect executive office desk isn’t too hard as long as you know what you want. The following tips should help you find the right guidance on building or purchasing a high quality item:
- The design is still important, even if you’re mostly interested in the practical advantages of your new executive desk. Remember that potential business partners and investors may enter your office, and the desk will play an important role in whether they’ll feel confident and impressed, or whether their first impression will be a poorer one.
- Even if you think that you don’t need anything but a flat surface to put your documents and computer, it’s important to remember the benefits of comfort and ergonomics. You don’t want to use a poorly built desk for 8 hours each day for the next 10 years.
- Although most desks are about 30 inches high, this height might not be the best for you. See what feels more comfortable, and try to find or build a new executive desk based on your own measurements and requirements.
- It’s also important to ensure that you get a desk that fits well with your chair. Maybe you already have a good ergonomic office chair, and you don’t want to buy a new one. The best solution, therefore, is to buy or build your desk to fit the chair as well as possible.
- Finally, make sure the desk has all the storage compartments you require for your most essential items. Electronics, computer peripherals, important documents, books, gadgets, photographs and other special items should fit precisely where you want them.
If you don’t want a completely unique desk, then building one might just be a waste of time. Instead, you’ll find high quality used executive office desks at a great price, and you’ll also have the possibility to opt for anything from a minimalist design to a comprehensive, large, wooden desk that can hold virtually everything you can think of.